Cockapoo Luna needs emergency vet treatment after freak accident
A cockapoo needed emergency treatment after hurling herself through a glass door to welcome the pizza delivery driver.
Excitable Luna rushed to the door when the bell rang, plunged straight through and ended up bleeding from her leg and covered in glass on the path outside.
Her shocked owner Debbie, who had ordered the pizza for her husband’s birthday, had to make an urgent dash to the Vets Now pet emergency clinic in Hemel Hempstead.
Amazingly, three-year-old Luna somehow escaped with cuts and bruises and was soon on the mend after speedy treatment.
“We were so lucky,” said Debbie, 36, from Watford. “We know this could have been so much more serious.
“We’d moved house just before and I was concerned about the single-glazed glass panel on the bottom of the front door but hadn’t had the chance to get it replaced during lockdown.
“Luna is really lovely and friendly and although she’s very lively and will bark if the doorbell rings, we could never have imagined something like this would happen.
“I’d ordered pizza for Adam’s birthday, and she suddenly charged at the door when the delivery arrived. She got there before me and went right through the panel.
“The guy was really shocked, just standing there not knowing what to do, and Luna had obviously got a real fright as she was frozen to the spot.”
The couple tried to get shards of glass out of Luna’s long fur, which made it hard to see just where she was bleeding.
With their own vet closed for the weekend, Debbie called Vets Now and was told to take Luna straight to our clinic in Hemel Hempstead.
It’s one of a nationwide chain of more than 60 hospitals and clinics open seven days a week for out-of-hours pet emergencies.
“Everything was straightforward, and the vet and the nurse were so lovely,” said Debbie. “It was just a relief to have help on hand when we really needed it.”
Senior vet Michelle Dawson and her team quickly assessed Luna, concerned that there may be more damage than was immediately obvious.
“With her going headfirst through the panel, we needed to check her out for any signs of concussion,” said Michelle.
“Fortunately, she was clear and responsive during our observations, so we were able to clip the fur away and assess her wounds. After administering pain relief and antibiotics, we disinfected the wound on Luna’s leg and applied skin staples to close it.
“Luna was very brave throughout and stood eating treats during the procedure — such a star patient!”
Debbie was delighted to be handed Luna back later that day, and she is now back to her old self.
“We’re very thankful she has come through this okay,” added Debbie. “We’re getting the house renovated just now, and we’re replacing all the doors to make sure they are safe.
“It was very scary and I’d never want this to happen again.”
All of Vets Now’s premises always have a vet and vet nurse on site.
We also offer an online video consultation service to make professional veterinary advice more easily available.
While the service is not suitable for life-threatening emergencies, our experienced vets are available to discuss any worries or concerns you might have.
If your pet needs an in-person follow-up appointment at any vet practice, Vets Now will refund the online consultation fee, so you never pay twice.